Lauren Tignor has established litigation experience to help get you the best possible outcome.
Savannah Sex Crimes Lawyer
An Empathetic and Compassionate Advocate with 10+ Years of Experience
Accused of a sex-related offense in Savannah? Sex crimes cover a range of behavior, including sexual battery, rape, and sodomy. Our firm has been defending clients for over a decade, and we aim to lend an empathetic and compassionate hand in the face of such harsh and troubling accusations. You may naturally be feeling overwhelmed with such serious allegations, but our firm will foster a down-to-earth environment for you to feel at ease in. Let’s get started on your defense strategy today.
to request a free consultation.
Rape and Statutory Rape
One serious type of sex crime is rape. Georgie law defines rape as having sexual intercourse with someone by force and against their will (without their consent). Note that even slight penetration can constitute such intercourse, and verbal threats, intimidation, and physical harm can constitute force in this context. You can also be accused of rape if you have engaged in sex with a person who is asleep or unconscious, intoxicated, or otherwise unable to consent.
If you have engaged in sexual intercourse with someone under the age of 16, even if the minor consented to it, you can be charged with statutory rape. Be aware that the prosecutor only needs to prove the following in order to bring forward a statutory rape conviction:
- the defendant and the alleged victim engaged in sexual intercourse (even slight penetration); and
- the alleged victim was under the legal age of consent (16 years old).
Rape is punishable by at least 25 years in prison and lifetime probation or life in prison without parole. Statutory rape is a felony punishable by 1-20 years in prison, but the penalty may vary based on the defendant’s age:
- Defendant is over the age of 21 – 10-20 years’ incarceration
- Defendant is under the age of 18 and the alleged victim is 15 or 16 years old – up to 12 months in jail and/or up to $1,000 in fines
Schedule a free consultation with Tignor Law Firm online for more information. Representing defendants in Pooler and Tybee.
Other Types of Sex Crimes
Tignor Law Firm also defends clients against a range of other sex crimes in addition to rape. Some other types of sex crimes addressed by Georgia law include:
- Sexual battery – making physical contact with the intimate parts of another person’s body without their consent; punishable by up to 12 months in jail and up to $5,000 in fines
- Aggravated sexual battery – penetrating another’s genitals or anus with a foreign object without the person’s consent; punishable by 25 years to life in prison
- Sodomy – having oral or anal sex with another person; punishable by 1-20 years in prison
- Aggravated sodomy – committing sodomy by force and without the person’s consent; punishable by 25 years to life in prison
- Prostitution – agreeing to or engaging in sex for money; punishable as a misdemeanor based on the nature of the offense and your criminal history
- Solicitation – seeking sexual services for hire; punishable by a felony term in prison and $1,000-$5,000 in fines
Sex Offender Registration
Certain sex crime convictions will require a term of sex offender registration in Georgia. More specifically, those who have been convicted of a sex crime against a minor or a dangerous sexual offense must register as sex offenders. Misdemeanor convictions are usually exempted. Some examples of convictions that require sex offender registration are:
- criminal sexual conduct towards a minor;
- solicitation of a minor to practice prostitution;
- use of a minor in sexual performance;
- aggravated assault with intent to rape;
- electronically furnishing obscene materials to minors;
- obscene telephone contact.
In general, those required to register must do so for life unless they have successfully petitioned for release from the registration requirements. There are several requirements you must comply with as a registered sex offender, including staying a certain distance from childcare facilities and schools and being barred from employment at certain places affiliated with minors.
Note that you will be assigned a risk level for sex offender status depending on the offense:
- Level I – low sex offense risk and low recidivism risk for future sexual offenses
- Level II – intermediate sex offense risk and intermediate recidivism risk for future sexual offenses
- Sexually Dangerous Predator – a sexual offender designated as a sexually violent predator or who is determined to be at risk of perpetrating future dangerous sexual offenses
Those declared to be Sexually Dangerous Predators must wear and pay for an electronic monitoring device for life, though you have the right to appeal such a designation.
Sex-related allegations are serious matters that can result in a lifetime of consequences. Don’t let a conviction ruin your future and reputation; reach out to Tignor Law Firm for legal support immediately if you have been unfairly accused of a sex crime in Savannah.
Let’s start strategizing your sex crimes defense today. Contact us online for more information.
Not Guilty Verdict - Bench Trial
Client was charged with domestic violence battery. Ms. Tignor argued that evidence showed that client was actually the victim. Judge returned a verdict ...Read More
DUI Reduced to Traffic Offense
Client charged with DUI. Ms. Tignor negotiated reduction to Reckless Driving.Read More
Not Guilty Verdict - Jury Trial
Client, passenger in a vehicle, charged with drug possession. Jury returned verdict of not guilty.Read More
Felony Drug Charge Dismissed
Client charged with felony possession of cocaine and drug related object. Ms. Tignor negotiated with State to allow client to enter into a diversion ...Read More
“Lauren’s legal prowess is unmatched.”- Happy Client